Skip to main content
  1. 1. Primary and secondary education
  2. 2. Further education (FE)
  3. 3. Higher education (HE)
  4. 4. Immigration bail and study

Higher education (HE)

Higher education (HE) course fees are part-funded by the UK Government for students in England who qualify for ‘home’ fees. Students who do not qualify for ‘home’ fees will be charged ‘overseas’ fees, which are significantly higher. Student support is also available to some students in the form of loans and grants. See the government information about higher education and student finance.

HE funding is not classed as a public fund for immigration purposes so a person can access home fees, or receive student support, if they are subject to the ‘no recourse to public funds’ (NRPF) condition.

However, to qualify for home fees and student support, a student must meet requirements relating to their immigration status and length of residence in the UK. These rules can be complex and are set out in detail by the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA), who can also provide telephone advice for students. UKCISA can also advise on the rules that apply in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.