Skip to main content
  1. 1. Social care services
  2. 2. Special educational needs and disabilities
  3. 3. Free school transport

Special educational needs and disabilities

A child may be able to receive additional help at their school if they have special educational needs (SEN) due to a learning difficulty or disability.

If a child needs more support than their school can provide, an assessment can be requested for an education, health and care (EHC) plan. The plan will set out what extra support the child requires and may involve providing a personal budget (direct payment) to the child’s parents to enable them to pay for this support. Assistance may be available to a young person until they are 25 years old.

Assistance for children or young people with special educational needs, or who are subject to an EHC plan, is not classed as a public fund for immigration purposes and can be accessed by a child regardless of their, or their parent's, immigration status, including a person who is subject to the ‘no recourse to public funds’ (NRPF) condition.

See the government information about support for children with special educational needs and disabilities.