Skip to main content

Applying without a National Insurance number

An application can be made by a parent who does not have a National Insurance number, although the identity of all parties involved will need to be proved, preferably with birth certificates.

Firstly, the parent must contact Child Maintenance Options to discuss their options. If they do not have a National Insurance number, they can ask for their case to be managed via the Exceptional Case Handling Process.

A claim for child maintenance would then need to be made through the Child Maintenance Service.