Skip to main content

Joint tenancies

When a council or housing association tenancy is allocated to a person through the Council’s register or lettings system, then this will usually be provided as a joint tenancy if they have a partner in their household.

However, when the partner is subject to the 'no recourse to public funds' (NRPF) condition, a joint tenancy cannot be issued. Instead, the main applicant can be given a sole tenancy and their partner will not be considered to have accessed public funds. 

For more information, see the Home Office guidance: Public Funds