Skip to main content

2 year olds (15 hours)

A child age two will be entitled to a free early years place when they meet one of the following requirements:

  • The parent is claiming one of the following benefits:
    • Income Support 
    • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance 
    • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance 
    • Universal Credit (the family's net annual income must not exceed £15,400) 
    • Tax Credits (the family's annual income before tax must be under £16,190) 
    • Guaranteed element of State Pension Credit 
    • Working Tax Credit four-week run on payment 
  • The child has a current statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care plan 
  • The child is receiving Disability Living Allowance 
  • The child is looked after by a local authority 
  • The child is no longer looked after by the local authority as a result of an adoption order, a special guardianship order or a child arrangements order that specifies with whom the child lives 
  • The parent receives section 95 or section 4 Home Office asylum support  
  • The parent has one of the types of immigration status listed below and the family's net annual income (after tax) is £15,400 or less: 
    • Zambrano carer (a derivative right to reside under European law as the primary carer of a British child or dependent adult)
    • Leave to remain subject to the 'no recourse to public funds' (NRPF) condition, which has been granted on private or family life grounds.
  • The parent receives support from a council because they have 'a child in need’, for example a child with a disability or a child protection plan, and the family's net annual income (after tax) is £15,400 or less. This applies to a child who is living in a household where their council is providing accommodation and financial support under section 17 of the Children Act 1989 because the parent has no recourse to public funds (i.e. the parent has leave to remain with NRPF or no current immigration permission, or is a European Economic Area national who is ineligible for benefits).

See the government information about eligibility for two year old children and how to apply for childcare.